Aluminum Windows vs. Vinyl Windows
Aluminum windows are lightweight and durable but can corrode and dent whereas vinyl is scratch and corrosion-resistant but may not be as strong as other types of frames. Each comes with its own set of strengths and weaknesses, so consider the following when determining which material is best for your next home window replacement.
- Design: Windows play a big role in your home?s curb appeal. Many people tend to gravitate towards vinyl windows because they?re more aesthetically pleasing than aluminum. Vinyl windows come in a variety of finishes, textures, and colors. Aluminum on-the-other-hand generally has a dull finish. However, it can also come with a wood grain coating.
- Maintenance: Both aluminum and vinyl windows are very low-maintenance. All they need is a quick-cleaning every-so-often. If your vinyl window is ever scratched or chipped, the exposed part will still look the same because the material is the same all throughout. With aluminum, however, the metal will be revealed.
- Durability: Vinyl windows are resistant to scratches, cracking, and corrosion and don?t dent easily. Aluminum windows are resistant to scratches and cracking, except for on the surface. If scratched, the metal will be exposed. Aluminum is also more prone to dents.
- Energy Efficiency: Aluminum windows conduct heat and cold, bringing those unwanted temperatures into your home. So to combat this, you can have your aluminum windows protected with thermal breaks at an added cost — which are usually made of vinyl. Next to wood, vinyl offers the best insulative value.
- Cost: Vinyl windows are about 30% cheaper than aluminum windows, ranging in price from $375 to $700 for a single-window replacement.
Are Aluminum Windows or Vinyl Windows Better for Your Home?
Choosing the right windows for your home is a big decision. Many homeowners opt for vinyl because it?s affordable, durable, and energy-efficient. But if you have very large windows, aluminum may be a better choice. If you?re undecided, let our experts at Legit help guide you – we consider your needs, budget, and weather exposure to make sure you select the best windows for your home.