Wood Roof Shingles
Serving Vancouver WA and Portland OR
For a rustic or antique look on a residential home, wood roof shingles or cedar shakes are an excellent option. From the time they are installed to years down the road when they are weathered to a silver gray, wooden roof materials provide protection and a certain sense of style that many people want for their property.
Before you decide if these types of shingles are right for your home, consider the benefits and disadvantages.
3 Benefits of Wood Roof Shingles
- Style – For historical homes and traditional houses, cedar or redwood shakes or shingles add a special touch of style you cannot get with regular shingles.
- Hardwearing and long-lasting – Thicker wood shakes prevent roof damage from hail, fallen tree limbs, and other damage. They are less likely to blow off in a wind storm. The roofs
are also very durable and last an average of 10 years longer than other varieties.
- Natural products are Earth-friendly – Buy only wood products that are responsibly sourced and enjoy knowing you have a natural product. Due to their thickness
and natural insulation properties, they can even cut down on energy usage in the home.
Have a Question or Need a Free Estimate?
Leave your information and we will contact you in 30 minutes or less.
3 Disadvantages of Wooden Roofing Shingles
- Cost – Natural wood shingles are more expensive overall than standard asphalt shingles. Since they are installed individually instead of in sheets, the labor costs will also be higher.
- Weathering – Over time, the warm brown tones of cedar shakes will fade to an uneven gray color. Some people love this patina of age, while others may find it no longer suits their style preference.
- Ongoing maintenance – Many wood roof shingles are pre-treated with anti-fungal and anti-mold solutions, but installed roofs still must be cleaned and sealed regularly to prevent deterioration of the natural wood.
Wood Roof Shingles in Portland OR and Vancouver WA
Serving Customers in Oregon and Washington: